Prepare an easy vegan asian cucumber salad which serves 6 people. It only takes 10 minutes to prep but will take 2-3 hours or even overnight to marinate.
This extremely easy Japanese-inspired salad makes for a quick picnic or potluck addition.
½ tsp salt
1½ tsp veggie oil
1 tsp sugar
1 tbs and 1½ tsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbs and 1½ tsp soy sauce
Cut the cucumber(s) lengthwise, scoop out seeds with a spoon, and slice cucumber(s) in bite-sized pieces. Transfer to a salad bowl. In a small bowl, mix together salt, oil, sugar, vinegar and soy sauce. Pour over cucumber(s) and gently toss. Refrigerate for several hours before serving, tossing every so often.
One good size English cucumber can be substituted for the 1½ regular cucumbers.
Canola oil works well, as it's lack of flavor doesn't interfere with the other seasonings.
You can use any mild vinegar. I usually use a brown rice vinegar instead of the rice wine vinegar.
Use low sodium soy sauce to help reduce the salt content of the dish.
The cucumbers may get soggy if this recipe is made too far in advance. One way to combat this is to remove the marinade after the initial 2-3 hour exposure. The cucumbers will retain the flavor, but won't become soggy as quickly.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades