This cabbage salad is an amazing salad/subzi recipe. All the nutrients (Vitamin C) are still intact as the cabbage has not been cooked a whole lot. Sambharo is traditionally a Gujarati dish and once again, like a lot of other Gujarati dishes, it will blow you away with it's simplicity and the flavor. Watch this how to video to learn how to make sambraho, Indian style cabbage salad.
Cabbage - 6 cups, finely chopped
Carrots - 1 medium, shredded
Oil - 1.5 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Asafoetida - pinch
Curry Leaves - few
Green Chili - 2 or to taste, slit
Salt - to taste
Lemon/Lime Juice - 1 tbsp
Cilantro - 5 sprigs, finely chopped for garnish
1. In a non-stick pan, heat the oil on medium heat.
2. Once hot, add in the mustard Seeds. Allow them to pop.
3. Add in the asafoetida, curry leaves and green chilis.
4. Cook for about 30 seconds.
5. Add in the lemon/lime juice and salt.
6. Mix well and add in the cabbage and carrots.
7. Toss and mix well for about 2 minutes.
8. Taste and adjust the salt and lemon juice.
9. Take it off the flame.
10. Serve at room temperature or cold.
11. Garnish with cilantro at the time of serving.
Have an iPhone? Check out all 200+ new features coming in iOS 13.